JSPPS CALL FOR PAPERS 2015/2
2015/2: Special Issue Back from Afghanistan: The Experiences of Soviet Afghan War Veterans
Guest editors: Felix Ackermann (European Humanities University, Vilnius) and Michael Galbas (University of Konstanz)
This special issue investigates the impact of the Soviet-Afghan war (1979-89) from a range of different perspectives. It focuses in particular on analyzing strategies employed by state and society for (re)integrating returning veterans, especially in the face of new and very different post-war social settings; on the development of transnational veterans’ networks; and on the role of Soviet Afghan veterans in ongoing conﬂicts in the post-Soviet region.
Submissions might include reﬂections on:
- the different paths of Afghanistan veterans back to their home society;
- the impact of the dissolution of the USSR on this experience;
- strategies of economic survival and social integration;
- the long-term psychological impact of the war experience;
- present-day reverberations of these experiences in post-Soviet space;
- the creation and work of veterans’ organisations;
- conﬂicts between veterans and state actors over social rights;
- the development of a memory culture aimed at publicly establishing a particular interpretation of the war;
- the development of transnational networks between Afghan veterans;
- the role of Afghan veterans in ongoing conﬂicts in post-Soviet space.
Submissions will be accepted in English, German, and Russian.
Abstracts (300 words) of proposed articles should be sent to the General Editor by 14 February 2015. Full articles will then be due by 20 April 2015 (for publication in October 2015).
CONTACT THE EDITORS:
Julie Fedor (General Editor): email@example.com
Andriy Portnov (Russian Language Editor): firstname.lastname@example.org
Andreas Umland (German Language Editor): email@example.com